Thursday, June 5, 2008

I gave blood today!

Yeah Me! I gave blood today. Now I guess you are thinking big deal, but I have never done that before and I was scared to death. I was so nervous I was all shaky when I went to sign in. Then I had to do some things before I actually donated. They had make sure I was a okay to donate. So it took a little while and it was all the longer for me to be nervous and think about it. Thank goodness it was at work and the ladies I work with were there for moral support! Well finally it was time to do it and so I got on my cot and of course was still shaky. They checked to make sure I had a good vein and then she asked me if I had eaten and what. I told her yes and it was a banana and she said that wasn't enough. So I ate some cookies and had an orange juice. While I was eating my snack I hear them ask for an ice pack for someone who was over in the part where you register and answer questions. I was wondering if someone passed out already. They weren't even over by the blood! Maybe it was the stick in the finger to check the iron. I dont know. I was just glad I wasn't that wimpy! Then a minute later I could here them talking to a guy on a cot behind me saying stay with us, stay with us, and are you okay and they just kept repeating it. So this is right before I was going and there was a guy passed out behind me!
So I was getting even a little more nervous. The lady who drew my blood was great and my boss at work stayed and talked to me for a while when they were getting me all set up. So it wasn't that bad at all! I did it and I didn't even feel like I was going to pass out! I tried something new! I was all worked up for nothing.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yay Brook! We were all proud of you for going thru with it. And that guy who passed out didn't even have the needle in him yet. Now, who's the weaker sex?